The primary responsibility of the Headmaster of Phoenix Country Day School is to carry out the school’s stated mission.
- Works in partnership with the Board of Trustees to establish and refine the School’s mission; articulates the mission to all constituencies – students, faculty and staff, parents, alumni, and the community; and supports the mission in working with all constituencies.
- Oversees the shaping of the School’s program and the quality of life in the School community.
- Establishes an effective manner of leadership and appropriately involves members of the administration and faculty in decision-making.
- Is responsible for attracting, retaining, developing, and evaluating qualified faculty and staff.
- Is accessible, within reason, and communicates effectively with all constituencies.
- Is responsible for financial management, maintenance of the physical plant, strategic planning, and fundraising.
- Ensures that every element of school life reflects the principles of equity, justice, and the dignity of each individual.
- Is alert to his role within the broader networks of schools, school leaders, and the community.
- Cooperates with heads of other independent schools to ensure that the principles of good practice of all school operations, especially those of admission, marketing, faculty recruitment, and fundraising, demonstrate integrity at all levels of the school.